The Rising Gas Prices are draining student’s pockets

High prices as far as the eye can see. Credit: Michael Schwartz

Sophia Schwartz, Staff Writer

Paying for gas is something that every driver must deal with. Currently, gas prices are higher than they have ever been. Gas stations are selling gas at double, or sometimes triple, the price of what it used to be. It makes it very difficult for student drivers to pay for their own gas.  

An article by Valdosta Today, explains the situation and shows a massive increase in the numbers. It states, “With the US economy recovering from the depths of the pandemic, demand for gas has gone up, but supply is tight. Higher demand coupled with a decline in stocks, alongside elevated crude prices, has put upward market pressure on pump prices. Pump prices will likely rise as long as crude prices remain high — above $80 per barrel.” In Georgia alone the price for gas has increased $1.26 since January of 2020. In just one year the whole economy is getting hit hard by the demand for gas by motorists everywhere.  

I interviewed students in order to see how this national issue is affecting people at Roswell: 

Interview 1: 

Me: How has having to pay for gas that is more expensive affected your budget? 

Tyler P: “I can’t buy as many things as I want to because I’m spending money on gas.” 

Me: “Is your dad giving you extra money?” 

Tyler P: “Yes he is helping me out.” 

Interview 2: 

Me: “You have to drive yourself to school, correct?” 

Griggs U: “Yes.” 

Me: “Do you have a job? If so, where do you work? 

Griggs U: “Yes I have a job. I work at Johnny’s Pizza as a dishwasher with minimum wage.”  

Me: “So how is having to pay for higher gas affected you?” 

Griggs U: “I just tend to be more conservative about driving and had to mostly avoid refilling gas until it’s necessary.” 

Me: “Has it recently prevented you from going anywhere, doing anything, or buying things?” 

Griggs U: “It has prevented me from going to see friends and being able to joy ride whenever I need it.” 

Me: “So you prioritize going to school, home, and your job?” 

Griggs U: “Yeh. I can’t just drive to drive. I have to drive to a destination. I’ve even been conservative about how fast I’m going or RPMs because that drains gas.” 

Me: “Do your parents help out by giving you extra cash knowing you’re having to spend more on gas?” 

Griggs U: “Yes. Anytime my parents use my car they get gas to make up for it.” 

I also spoke to a teacher to get her perspective of the situation: 

Interview 3: 

Me: “As a teacher here, have you personally been affected by the rising gas prices?” 

Mr. Gorman: “Personally yes I have been affected just because I have a particularly long commute. I don’t live in Roswell, so I already pay a little bit more than other teachers to get to school because there’s more distance to drive. However, I have a steady job. I have a paycheck, so while it’s been an annoyance, it hasn’t been something that has prevented me from getting to work…So yes I’ve been affected but not severely.” 

Me: “Have you had to stop yourself from going to something fun because of gas prices? 

Ms. Gorman: “While I haven’t had to sacrifice any of the normal events that I would go to, I have had to rethink my monthly budget a little bit and allow more for gas. I suppose that it has affected me a little bit in the way that I have to readjust. I guess I didn’t really think about that. I let it happen and accepted it because there’s nothing I can do.  

If you want to read more on this issue, visit this site.