Where do we turn this in? 

Savannah Young, Director of Design

It’s been nearly two years since the pandemic started, and things are just now starting to get “back to normal.”  Roswell High School no longer requires masks (although it’s highly recommended), stadiums are once again packed with people, and kids are finally able to spend time with their friends and family. 

But there’s one thing that hasn’t gotten back to normal. And it’s uncertain whether or not it ever will. 

Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, schools have used sites like “Google Classroom” and “Microsoft Teams” to manage students’ work. Teachers could assign lessons, and students could review notes from that day, watch lessons, and turn their work in. 

In theory, it sounded great to have everything at the touch of your fingertips. That is until teachers start switching up whether they use teams or go back to turning things in in-person.  

While some teachers prefer that their students turn their work in on teams rather than in-person, and others require students to turn in their work in-person, other teachers do either. While this may seem like teachers are understanding, it becomes extremely confusing for students. 

It’s bad enough that some teachers use teams for practically everything while others never use it at all, but to make it worse, some teachers use both and don’t have guidelines set, leaving students asking themselves, “Do I turn this in physically or virtually?” or “Does this assignment have the right due date?”. 

Even after a school year impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, students are still left wondering where to turn in their work. (Credit: Savannah Young)

This led many students down a rabbit hole when it came to turning in work. 

What happens when there’s a bad Wi-Fi connection, and you can’t access teams? Well, you’ll have to do a lot of pleading with your teachers to get them to take a physical copy. What if you miss the bus or have to take a sick day? Well, I guess you can turn it in the next week—if they let you. 

This is an ongoing problem that both students and teachers alike face. While it’s understandable that teachers want to make our work accessible, it only makes students more confused and overwhelmed when they stay up until two in the morning finishing work—only to see that the assignment isn’t on teams. 

So, what are students left to do? 

Sophomore Katelyn Bolles said that she’s not sure. 

“In theory, it’s great that the teachers are making things accessible.” Bolles stated, “But that accessibility has led to tons of students, myself included, being confused about where to turn certain things in and when certain assignments are due.” 

“I feel like we should either turn our work in on teams or physically. No either or.” Bolles added, “On top of that, the assignment’s due dates should be made clear from the get-go.” 

This problem is ongoing and isn’t likely to change anytime soon, as many schools have partnered with Microsoft, meaning that we’ll continue to see TEAMS in the foreseeable future. 

So, next time you’re questioning where to turn an assignment in—don’t wait to ask for clarification.