Roswell Shares Their Favorite Thanksgiving Traditions

“Students enjoy watching the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with their family members each year”. (Credit: https://www.macys.com/social/parade/)

Gracie Ross, Staff Writer

Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrated across the country and is a time of year when families come together to give thanks. Roswell students get days off near Thanksgiving to celebrate with festivities and spend time with family or friends. If you thought the story of the pilgrims and Native Americans having a feast was the Thanksgiving story that was long remembered, it is nothing compared to the holiday season stories of Roswell students. 

Thanksgiving is a big holiday in the Roswell community. The cooking lasts all day, and the traditions last a lifetime. Senior Margaret Wheatley says, “my family spends Thanksgiving by all cooking the meal together. It is nice to be able to work together as a family to produce an amazing meal.” Sophomore McKay Legg, says, “I spend time with my family, and we make the dinner all together.” The cranberry sauce, turkey, casseroles, corn and beans, apple pies, and mashed potatoes take time and effort. Many students love Thanksgiving because of how nice it is to be able to cook and enjoy and meal with loved ones. With busy schedules, and minds constantly in a frenzy, family time is often not prioritized, but on Thanksgiving, family is what the holiday is all about. Thanksgiving isn’t all about spending time with loved ones you live with, but some that live far away that you only get to see around the holidays. Many students visit their loved ones for Thanksgiving. Senior Nancy Ruth, says, “every year we go visit my grandparents.” Travel is something often associated with Thanksgiving. Junior Reagan Garrett says, “we always go up to our mountain house to celebrate and eat a big meal together.” 

Other than the large feasts, Thanksgiving has many other fun festivities, such as playing games. Senior Krysta Schwab, says, “my family goes over to my brother’s friend’s house every year. I get forced into playing Pictionary and cornhole.” Orr says, “we always go outside and play cornhole after we eat.”  

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade occurs annually and many Roswell Hornets chill and watch the parade at home. Senior Michael Bowie says, “I love that every year me and my brothers secretly put up the Christmas tree and decorate it while my mother sets the table and then gets the surprise of seeing the tree.” 

In order to get in touch with the season read these other two sting articles.

Review on the best Thanksgiving Foods, by Cecilia Rubio.

Family Dynamics Sorrounding Politics and Thanksgiving, by Lauren Helsing.