Giving Back-to-Back: Volunteering at RHS

Applications to participate in this were due November 10th, but you can still show support by donating to the QR code posted around the school! (Credit: Bailey Oetinger)

Gemma Mueller-Hill

Fall is in full swing and so are Roswell High School’s clubs and organizations. Roswell High School has over 30 clubs that each have their own mission and service hour requirements. To help their members reach their required amount of service hours, many clubs hold events or fundraiser where Roswell students can get involved.   

Most recently, the student council and Skills USA organized a Thanksgiving food drive. This event is held annually and lasted for about two weeks. Students could bring in canned goods to their first period classroom, which were later delivered to North Fulton Community Charities. Student Council Co-president, Sadie Zeigler says they are “hoping to bring in around 5,000 cans”. Mr. Hales volunteered to add another 1,000 cans, if the school reaches their 5,000 can goal. She continued to say that the first period classroom who brought in the most cans will win a free breakfast. 

On Thursday November 18th, Roswell High School Students could participate in the Hornet Hat Day fundraiser. John Aehl, 12, said, “there seemed to be a great turnout of students wearing hats, I think it would be cool if we did this again next year”. Students could pay a $5 donation to wear a hat and all proceeds would go to the Backpacks of Love program at RHS, which aids need-based and food insecure families in Fulton County Schools.  

Roswell’s National Honor Society provides the opportunity for Roswell Highschool students to spend a day with Vickery Mill Elementary students. This will take place on December 5th and involves helping the children shop, providing lunch, taking pictures with Santa, cookie/cupcake decorating, doing arts & crafts, and much more. When asked about the event, Bailey Oetinger, 12, said, “the children were so sweet and it was very rewarding!” 

Interested in participating in more clubs or future impactful events? Click here to read Claire Mulkey’s Article about Roswell’s newest club, HoPe.