Now That Masks are Voluntary, Should Vaccines be Mandatory?

Vaccination records from 18 months to 18 years of a child’s life. (Credit: cdc.gov) 

Nate Baker, Staff Writer

Now that masks are not required in Fulton County Schools, the state should take measures and mandate COVID-19 vaccinations for every child over five. While wearing masks to school is still generally a novel idea, it is not a newfound idea to require vaccinations to enter school. Currently, students have 30 days after enrolling to supply proof that they have received 12 vaccines, so why can COVID-19 not be one of them? 

When asked about COVID-19 vaccines, sophomore Alyssa Rosado says that “There really is no reason to not get the vaccine, like honestly, it is stupid how people just won’t get it.” 

Worldwide, 7.8 billion doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been given out, which means that 43% of the world is fully vaccinated. There has never been a vaccine where almost half of the world received a dose and was monitored so closely for side effects. Research overwhelmingly shows that the vaccine is safe to receive. However, at least 5.5 million people have died from COVID-19 across the globe. I believe that it is time for us to do the right thing and stop the virus.  

At this point, everybody at Roswell High School most likely knows someone who has either gotten sick from the disease or passed away. The United States ranks number four for most orphans created because of COVID-19 deaths, following Mexico, Brazil, and India. Even if you are fortunate enough to have recovered from COVID-19, there can still be lifelong effects, including but not limited to brain damage, lung scarring, and increased risk of stroke. Adding one more safe vaccine to the list that could help prevent all of this is the obvious choice.