The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!
  • January 29Prom Theme Announced: Enchanted Evening
  • January 29Stay warm Hornets!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

College Admissions Process: What you Need to Know about Common App

Common Apps home page is super organized by providing your information in sections. This is where you gain access to the colleges your applying to, their requirements, and your personal details to send to colleges. (Credit: Drew Maddox)

During this time of the year seniors are stressing to complete the numerous steps of completing their college applications. At this day and age applying to colleges is made to be trouble-free, especially with our access of technology, and Common App is an extremely popular tool for seniors applying to colleges. Most high school counselors set up an account for each student amid their junior year, so each student is destined to use the program when entering their senior year.

Common App allows students to combine the information they need into just one application, but it can be sent to multiple colleges at once, speeding up the process and preventing the dreaded task of applying to each college separately.

After an account is set up and the student shares their personal credentials, they then can assign certain colleges to your Dashboard. This way each college a student is going to apply to is easily accessible and set up so they can meet each colleges specific requirements. While viewing their application status, students can edit and add anything at any time. This feature allows getting certain things done on their own time. For example, a student can submit their college essays whenever they complete them but can also take the SAT at a completely different time and still have their application updated and posted after they’ve taken the test. This makes it easier for students to manage their time and spread out their tasks so there’s less stress involved.

Although applying to colleges has gotten more complex over the years, most students prefer these programs to make their shift into college stress free. Senior Natalie Wilson has started her application process with Common App, she said, “The Common App has helped a lot with my college applications especially by having all the information right there and ready to go.” She finds the layout of the program to be super-efficient. She also said, “It’s perfect how it just loads my information into each application so I can be more productive and submit the applications easier.”

Even colleges have taken note of Common App. Looking at application requirements, most colleges in Georgia require one essay from Common App. Students get to choose from one of Common Apps topics to write about, then submit it in their application. This is in addition to whatever additional essay each college may require.

Senior Dajia Jackson has also had experience with Common App. She said, “Common App has helped me so much. I got a late start with my applications, so having Common App guide me through what needs to be done was extremely helpful.” Even if a student is behind on the process, Common App has made it very easy to catch up and set up each senior for success.

For even more assistance, Roswell counselors are available every Tuesday and Thursday in The Hub. Here they are helping seniors set up their common app profiles who are confused about how the application works. Just walk in at any time of the day, preferably study hall or lunch, and sign in to receive the help you need. Click here for more information about how our counselors assist Seniors on their journey to college.

Overall, the college application process has changed drastically over the years and most seniors think it is for the best. With Common App, students rarely deal with issues or stress. Seniors using the application can tell that the program was designed for students to worry less and focus more on the goal of graduating high school.