The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!
  • January 29Prom Theme Announced: Enchanted Evening
  • January 29Stay warm Hornets!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A Look Into a State-Winning Lacrosse Team

Can They Do It Again?

The Varsity Boys Lacrosse team won the GHSA 5A-6A State Championship in their 2023 season. This was the team’s third state title since 2015.

The whole team excited and smiling big after winning the state title. (Credit: roswellhslax on Instragram)

The boys had an incredible season, only losing three very close, low-scoring games. Their final record was 20-3, win-loss, overall and 4-1 in the region. The team’s impressive record and hard work led them all the way through playoffs, to the state title.  

The Hornet’s faced off against Allatoona High School on May 13, 2023. The final score was 17-10 Hornets, and they took home the trophy. Senior Kyle O’Neal describes the winning feeling as “accomplished” and says that the team felt more “bonded” after.

Ezra Moore and Alex Lobel celebrating together after scoring in the state championship game. (Credit: Chris Holland)

With the 2024 lacrosse season beginning, it is important to look at and highlight this upcoming season and what the team will look like compared to last year to ultimately see if they can win the title again. Head Coach and Defensive coordinator Brian Michalec said, “We graduated a lot of fire power in the offense and a lot of people are doubting us. So, we are going out to practice with a chip on our shoulder to get better every day.”  

Blake Jeska, Stone Smith, Kai Keating, and Carter Dowdy posing for a post-game win photo. (Credit: Billy Clouse)

Last year’s team had 14 graduating seniors, so while losing many key players, there are many new and old faces on this year’s team that have a lot of talent to bring to the table. Coach Michalec says, “We return All-America Erza Moore, All-State Luke hicks, with Kaden Parla and Ben Weir anchoring our offense. We have dynamic Middies in Kyle O’Neal, Wes Austin and Austin Edler. Our defense is anchored by Carter Dowdy who was all state, Kai Keating, Ben Gotham and Dean Maddux, we also have our Goalie Blake Jeska back between the pipes.” 

The Hornets have just finished up with tryouts and have begun practice. Their first game of the season is against Lambert High School on Feb. 10, 2024. The boys beat Lambert last year 13-6, so it will be a good start to the new season for the Hornets. Coach Michalec says that the key to this season is the same as last, “do the little things correct and control what you can control.”

Linkin Miller, Kai Keating, Austin Edler, Ben Gotham, Henry Long, Coleman Kelly, and Luke Hicks volunteering at “Meals by Grace.” (Credit: roswellhslax on Instragram)

These Hornets don’t just show their hard work at RHS but these boys are also very involved in many volunteering opportunities throughout the community. They have volunteered at a couple different local elementary schools, helping, and teaching them with their academics as well as their lacrosse skills. They have also helped by serving meals to the community. O’Neal said, “our team can win state if we don’t play selfish and win for each other and the community.” Not only is this team a hardworking, state-winning team, they are a selfless group of young boys playing for Roswell as a school, and a community. 

There are 12 seniors and many new underclassmen joining the team this season. This will be another dedicated year for these Hornets in hope to extend their season all the way into May. O’Neal says this year the boys plan to “come out with a different mindset of focus and discipline and do what it takes to get another ring.”