The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!
  • January 29Prom Theme Announced: Enchanted Evening
  • January 29Stay warm Hornets!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Student Athletic Trainers Impact the Football Program

Head Athletic Trainers Ms. Erin (far left) and Ms. Cassidy (far right) smile with the student aide trainers before their last home game of the season against Marist. This was the last playoff game for the Hornets after Marist’s defeat. (Credit: @‌roswellsportsmed on Instagram)

The varsity football team had yet another strong competitive season, but behind the wins, there are unsung heroes: student athletic trainers. Relentlessly working behind the scenes, they are the ones who assist the head trainers and are the backbone to game days.  

A typical responsibility for athletic trainers is taping football players’ wrists before games so they can have more stability. Athletic tape is also far less bulky than wearing wrist pads, making it easier to remove. “To tape wrists, we have to use pre-wrap first, which is like a foam kind of material and then go over it with athletic tape,” said junior Mady Sudiyanto, a trainer for the football program.  

Student aide football trainers from left to right, Sophomore Caroline McCan, Sophomore Halle Reed, Senior Dajia Jackson, Senior Drew Maddox, Junior Hannah Manley, and Junior Mady Sudiyanto pose for a picture one last time as the season concludes. (Credit: Brinley Dye)

In addition to preventative measures, student trainers are instructed on how to assist during emergencies and serious injuries. Student athletic trainer, Hannah Manley said, “We learn certain procedures to make sure we can help during emergencies and serious injuries.”

Student aides Caroline Mccan and Hannah Manley learn CPR and how to operate an AED by using practice mannequins. This can come to use in future life or death emergencies on the field. (Credit: @‌roswellsportsmed on Instagram)

During the school day, players can choose to get athletic support.  Trainers assist players to sign-in on an iPad with their student number, identifying their physical concerns. This way the athletic trainers are well-informed on what each player specifically needs and can relay it to the head trainers.  

On game day, the student athletic trainers assemble a tent before the game that is used for equipment and treatment mid-game. In addition, they set up tables located on the sidelines with water and Gatorade coolers, towels, and players’ football bags.   

Athletic trainers also drive the golf cart on and off the field with heavy additional equipment. The golf cart’s flat surface can be used to transport injured players that need to be wheeled off the field.         

Students choose to become athletic trainers for varying reasons: some are into the sport they are assisting whereas some are interested in exploring a future career: physical therapy, athletic training, or coaching.  

Manley said, “I plan on studying sports medicine or nursing after high school. Through Roswell’s program it has inspired me a lot to learn more and want to expand my knowledge and practice.”