The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!
  • January 29Prom Theme Announced: Enchanted Evening
  • January 29Stay warm Hornets!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Strings of Success: Orchestra Strikes the Right Chord

Picture of the Roswell orchestra room. The musicians are practicing their pieces together. (Credit: Karlie Zabrocki)

Orchestra is one of the main musical components at Roswell. A typical day for orchestra students includes tuning their instruments, warming up with scales, and then practice their pieces. Their current pieces are, “Voyager,” “Serendipity,” “Suite,” and “Rustic Dance.” Most students start orchestra in middle school and continue throughout high school, but you can join the orchestra any time.

There are two sections of orchestra, chamber orchestra and normal orchestra. The main difference between the two is that students must try out for chamber and students don’t need to try out for normal orchestra. Chamber orchestra plays harder music and is challenged more, they have more songs to play which have increased difficulty. Chamber orchestra also gets more opportunities. For example, they got to go to Kennesaw State University to play for judges which then gave them corrections. This helps them get tips from professionals to further improve their music.

Aurora Lauchella has been doing orchestra for four years. She is currently in chamber orchestra and loves it! She enjoys playing music for her family and learning harder music. Freshman Aurora Lauchella said, “I also love talking to my friends in chamber and making new ones. Orchestra is my passion because it makes me work hard and want to learn more music. I am in chamber because I really want to push myself to play harder and more complex music. I loved going to KSU to preform for the judges, it made me realize what we need to do to be better. I plan to do orchestra throughout high school.”

Freshman Abigail Carter says, “LGPE is basically where we play a few songs for judges, and they give us corrections on how good we are.”

Orchestra has been working hard on their 2023-24 pieces. They performed their four musical pieces to the LGPE judges. There was no specific feedback given other than they did great. This gives the orchestra confidence to play harder pieces and continue to learn music.

Orchestra is a huge part of Roswell’s music program. These musicians always apply themselves to their music and enjoy playing for their parents and friends. Orchestra is a great program that continues to gain talent day by day. Freshman Abigail Carter also says, “Orchestra is one of my passions. It helps me push myself to get better and hopefully one day I can be first chair.”