The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• May 1Happy May Hornets!
  • May 1It's playoff season! Good luck to all sports teams!
  • May 1Good luck with AP exams and finals Hornets!
  • January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

COVID-19 Spike and New Mask Regulations in Hospitals

A mask policy sign that a local Atlanta barber shop implemented. (Credit: Paras Griffin/ Getty images)

This year hasn’t started off the greatest due to many people’s health across the country. Nationwide, 44% of the population that had COVID-19 were detected right before Christmas and only 19% of them had gotten the COVID-19 shot. The Northeast Georgia Health System has also taken action to require masks for all employees, patients, and visitors at their hospitals. 

In addition, many students at Roswell have been absent for an uprising in Flu cases. Kathleen Gorman who teaches French stated that about 30% of students from all her classes have been absent since the new year because of their health. Citizens of Roswell have started to become fearful of this new rise in illnesses.  

The pandemic changed people’s lives in a very large way. Junior Madison Hardnock said, “I feel like I didn’t do as much work and I wasn’t as motivated during that time and now I feel like I’m on social media more, I’m less motivated in a way.” 

Not only did the pandemic affect students but it also affected teachers. AP Human Geography and Sociology teacher Ali Ahmed said, “It was one of the hardest teaching periods ever.” 

During this time these teachers were involved in teaching in person but social distanced. Students came to school but could not be near anyone or go up to their teachers and ask questions. Teachers were also not allowed to leave their chairs, and everyone was required to wear masks. Could this increase in Flu and Covid cases cause schools to require masks again? 

During the pandemic more than half of Georgia public schools were required to wear masks including Roswell. There were more than 9,600 children’s cases detected every day in Jan. of 2021. 

As of this year, there have been 3,851 new cases of COVID-19 statewide. Compared to the pandemic that may seem as if it isn’t many, but still a lot. 

The effects of having this virus can vary. Usually, the viruses aren’t very serious, and many people can treat COVID-19 like any other virus. But in some cases, it may be deadly. In Georgia, COVID-19 was first detected around early 2020. By April 17, 2021, the state had 60,403 confirmed cases and 17,214 deaths. The US altogether had thousands of cases appearing everyday between 2019-2021.  

China was the first to have an uprise in the virus. There was an outbreak in the city of Wuhan then spread throughout Asia. It became worldwide in 2020. It is possible that the outbreak was caused by just human-to-human transmission, but sources have said the early cases were linked to Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. This is when hospitals started to act. 

Many hospitals not only required masks but also a COVID vaccine for their workforce. On Nov. 4, 2021, 40% of US hospitals had announced this new requirement. Today, at least four states have hospitals requiring masks for their workforce, patients, and visitors. 

Health Experts at the American Medical Association don’t think this rise in viruses will become serious. They believe the number of cases will get less not more. Because of all the vaccines and infections over the past 4 years people have built up immunity throughout states making them less vulnerable to the virus.