The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• May 1Happy May Hornets!
  • May 1It's playoff season! Good luck to all sports teams!
  • May 1Good luck with AP exams and finals Hornets!
  • January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Taylor Swift Drops 11th Studio Album: The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poets Department album cover. (Credit:albumoftheyear.org)

On April 19th, 2024, Taylor Swift dropped her 11th album, The Tortured Poets Department, and the album is already breaking records. Swift surprised fans with a double album, released at 2 a.m. ET with 15 extra songs.  

The album, which Swift announced at the Grammy’s, has already reportedly broken a Spotify record in 12 hours. It is already Spotify’s most streamed album in a single day this year, according to Billboard.  

Swift has said that these lyrics on the album are very personal to her, and they reflect events, opinions, and sentiments from a fleeting and fatalistic moment in time. The Tortured Poets Department: The Anthology consists of 31 tracks, clocking at 2 hours and 3 minutes, leaving fans in shock. 

Another huge topic fans cannot get over is who these songs are about. Fans have speculated that many of these tracks could potentially be about Matty Healy, Joe Alwyn, and even Travis Kelce.  

Some of the fan favorites so far include, “Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?”, “I Can Do It With a Broken Heart,” “loml,” and more.  

This is Swift’s first album since breaking up with boyfriend of six years Joe Alwyn, as well as briefly dating Matty Healy, and now in a relationship with football player Travis Kelce, so there are tons of heartbreaking and new love lyrics across Tortured Poets.  

Following the topic of past relationships, Swifts song “thanK you aIMee” is speculated to be about her longtime nemesis Kim Kardashian. Swift and Kardashian’s feud has a very long history, which began with the star’s ex-husband, Kanye West.  

Overall, The Tortured Poets Department is an album that took fans by surprise, and it is expected to break many more records in the upcoming days and weeks. With the double album drop, fans will be kept busy listening to these new tracks and continue analyzing each lyric of every song.