The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• May 1Happy May Hornets!
  • May 1It's playoff season! Good luck to all sports teams!
  • May 1Good luck with AP exams and finals Hornets!
  • January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Hawks Close Out Regular Season with Play-In Spot

The Atlanta Hawks played their last game of the regular season against the Indiana Pacers on Sunday, April 14. The game was a disappointing 42-point loss for the Hawks with a final score of 115-157. The Pacers are the 6th seed in the Eastern conference, with a clinched playoff position and a winning season, therefore the loss is not necessarily unexpected. It is, however, a concerning omen for the upcoming play-in tournament.

The Hawks had a disappointing season overall, ending with a 36-46 record and as the 10th seed in the East. Although some losses could be contributed to the temporary loss of the Hawks consensus star player Trae Young who missed 28 games with a torn RCL in his fifth finger of his left hand.

Young returned to play on April 10th against the Charlotte Hornets with a minute’s restriction. Through 21 minutes Young put up 14 points, though the Hawks still lost the game by a point.

Atlanta Hawks mural in college park. (Credit: Curtis Compton)

The loss of Young for such a long period of time led to the rise of the Hawks other star player Dejounte Murray. Murray averaged 22.4 points per game and made multiple buzzer beater game winners throughout the regular season. Murray also played a key part in the two major wins against the Boston Celtics, who have the best regular season record in the NBA, with 64 wins and 18 losses.

Now the Hawk’s season comes down to being the very last seed in the Play-In tournament. The Hawks will have to win two straight games to make it into the playoffs, and even then, it’ll be a tough series against the Boston Celtics. Needless to say, the Hawks have a long road ahead of them. If they would like to accomplish something in the playoffs, and with multiple rumors throughout the season about a possible Trae Young trade, it may be the last time Hawk’s fans see this team.