Why don’t all the vending machines accept Apple Pay?

All someone has to do is hover their phone against the card reader to receive their snack. Credit: Medium.com

Alex Johnson

Apple is one of the biggest brands in the world with over one hundred billion in sales over the last 4 years. With the release of Apple Pay in 2014, those sales have since grown. Apple Pay is a way people can make purchases by using their phone. Apple Pay works almost everywhere. When someone goes to pay and there is an Apple Pay sign, that means they can use their device to pay. Apple Pay is accepted at restaurants, stores, gas stations, and even vending machines. But with Apple Pay expanding to vending machines, not all vending machines accept Apple Pay.

At Roswell High School, there are many vending machines spread all throughout the school. Many of which have Apple Pay, but all the snack machines accept Apple Pay, while many of the drink machines do not. Why is this so? Considering Apple Pay is an easier way to pay for a product out of a vending machine, many brands such as Coca-Cola wanted to team up with Apple. So one would think if the vending machine is selling a Coca-Cola product the vending machine would have Apple Pay right? On the machines that do accept Apple Pay, there is a card reader on the vending machine and to use that card reader you simply pull up your Apple Pay app and hold the digital card up to the card reader. The reader will then confirm the debit or credit card which will then allow anyone to receive their snack/drink.

“Apple Pay has helped me with not having to worry about losing my debit card since it is through my phone, and it is so easy to use considering I have my phone with me at all times,” says Freshman Ethan Codelli.

So how will the remaining vending machines on campus be upgraded to accept Apple Pay? It would have to be up to the vendor that fills and services the machines to allow them to accept the payment method of Apple Pay onto those vending machines. It is all focused around convenience. Not every high school student is walking around with loose change or a debit card, but since everyone has a phone now it would be more convenient for the vendors to install the payment method on the machines to make it available to anyone who has Apple Pay on their phones.