The Sting

Filed under Sports

There’s an art to pre-game rituals

In most sports it is common to have pregame rituals. Within those pregame rituals an athlete gains their perspective of what they want to accomplish during the game or competition. For example, Roswell football players as a team all have one thing that they like to do: they tap a board that hangs up in the locker room and Coach Kemper holds a piece of plywood as the players get ready, then they tap it.

Now as an individual pregame ritual, players such as Tyron Hopper (Linebacker/Safety), John Michael Diroberto aka JM (Outside linebacker/Rover), Jacob Jarrett (Wide Receiver), and Riley Easterly (Quarterback) all have one thing in common, they all pray. Players also have unique pregame rituals. Hopper says, “I listen to G Herbo- Some Nights, get a McGriddle from Mcdonalds and talk to some people.” This is understandable because all athlete have to eat before a meal. Now, JM likes to “wear a hoodie, drink pedialyte, listen to music especially Oh ok by Gunna, think about the game and nothing else and pray.” This shows how focused a player can be on game day and how they do not want to be bothered. As for Jacob, he “listens to music” and that is as simple as it gets. This is also understandable because music can help one focus. Lastly, Riley likes to be classic and “relax and pray” and that is about as calm as you can be just before a game.

Some of the players like to play it cool and keep to themselves to maintain their focus and not worry about what is going to happen to them during the day. Furthermore, it is good to have a pregame ritual, so you can be calm, confident, and comfortable with yourself when you are playing or competing. Being calm can improve how you evaluate your competitors and evaluate yourself as well. Having confidence is huge because, if you walk out onto the field with no confidence, there is absolutely no way you are going to get what you are striving for. So, as most people put it: confidence is key.

On an ending note, being comfortable is also a big part of the game. If you show up and you are nervous, there is a chance that when you start you are not going to be thinking about winning you will be thinking about how to fix your nerves and when the game will be over because you are not in the right state of mind. In the end, pregame rituals are important to most athletes who like to stay focused on the game.