The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• May 1Happy May Hornets!
  • May 1It's playoff season! Good luck to all sports teams!
  • May 1Good luck with AP exams and finals Hornets!
  • January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A Glimpse into American Schools: Perspective from French Exchange Students

All of the french exchange students are close together and posed for a picture with their host families. (Credit: Harnoor Narang)

The French exchange students went on one incredible journey, transitioning from the picturesque streets of France to the vibrant hallways of Roswell High over 4,000 miles away. During their 10-day stay, the French students had the opportunity to fully engage in American culture, thanks to their host families who warmly welcomed them into their homes and introduced them to the life here. 

Madame Bell, a French teacher at Roswell gets to go to France every other year and bring along approximately 20 students with her, while the other years, the French students come here. 

Bell said, “the way that it affected me, is that, when I go over there, I stay with the same teacher and when she comes over here, she stays with me. She not only is the program being great for the students, but I also have friends there, people that I keep in touch with all the time, I’ve watched her little girl grown up. So, its satisfying for me, personally, but I think the students would tell you, that it really changes them a lot to travel and host people here.” 

In addition to attending classes with host families and other selected teacher’s classes, these adventurous students also joined in on various student activities such as cheering on our football team during an exciting game, exploring the scary world of haunted houses, and, of course, experienced dining at the quintessential American and southern-loved Chick-fil-A.        

French exchange students take a thrilling trip to Paranoia Haunted house, with the company of a few hornets. (Credit: Harnoor Narang )

When junior Derya Kilic was asked about her thoughts on the teachers here compared to her teachers back home in France, she said, “The teachers are more friendly. In France, there are few teachers who really care about you and your projects.” It is great to hear that she is experiencing a positive difference in teacher-student relationships here. 

Kilic was then asked how her transition from France to America was mentally, which she replied with, “There is a lot of small talk and meaningless conversations here.” She compared it to France, where starting a conversation means truly listening and being genuinely interested in what the other person has to say. It is interesting to see how cultural differences can shape communication styles. 

As for the question of formality between France and America, especially regarding school attire, Kilic cited tangible differences. Kilic said, “It’s a lot more formal and fashionable in France, especially at my high school because we are a high school for art so there is a lot of artists.”

When asked about living in France, Kilic shared some unique aspects of her daily life. Mentioning that her school days are long compared to coming to Roswell, and she must wake up earlier because she lives far from the school. 

In terms of meals, Kilic said, “some people eat at the canteen. It’s usually good, and compared to here, because a lot of us didn’t like the canteen *cafeteria) here.” 

Thanks to Madame Bell, and the host families, these students were given an experience of a lifetime. Bell said, “I always enjoy seeing my student’s perspective of their own culture when they see it through the eyes of their French buddies, and I also love the way the French exchange students love the hospitality that the community gives them.”