The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!
  • January 29Prom Theme Announced: Enchanted Evening
  • January 29Stay warm Hornets!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Cody Johnson Releases New Album “Leather”

Cody Johnson Releases New Album Leather

In recent years Cody Johnson has turned from a small, home-grown Texas country artist into a widely known country superstar, helping transform and shape country music into what it is in today’s society. Johnson, also given the nickname “COJO” released his first album in 2009, “Six Strings One Dream.”

Cody has six self-released albums, three of which are under big-name labels. He has always been sure to make his songs rich with that old country style, some could say in relation to artists like George Strait. This appeals to a very specific audience, seeing that not everyone likes that kind of country music approach.

“Leather” by Cody Johnson album cover. (Credit: codyjohnson on Instagram)

“Leather” was released on Nov 3, 2023, and consists of 12 tracks. These songs range from upbeat country like “That’s Texas” going back to his hometown roots, all the way to slowed-twangy emotion packed songs like “Dirt Cheap.” The tracks in the album are mainly about family, religion, his hometown, and appreciation towards his fans.

This album includes two features. New and uprising country singer Jelly Roll is featured on “Whiskey Bent” which is a slower song about how his life has changed whether it comes to family or religion due to the alcohol he would turn to. Brooks and Dunn are featured on the song “Long Live Country Music” This song is an upbeat track about the appreciation these artists have for the genre they are passionately apart of. They discuss through their lyrics their favorite parts and aspects of the genre and how they don’t want it to die out.

My favorite song on the album is “Dirt Cheap.” This track is almost telling a story. It is a slowed down song and is packed full of emotion and nostalgia. It refers to his beloved farm and even though his life is changing as everyone in his life is growing or leaving, he always has this farm to hold on to and remember all the memories from it. He refers to old friends, family, and the importance of his religion to him.

Overall, I would rate this album a 4/5 stars. While I appreciate the majority of these songs and the lyrics sung, it is not my favorite that COJO has produced.

With only being 36 years old, Cody’s career is far from being over and I look forward to the music he will continue to produce.