The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• May 1Happy May Hornets!
  • May 1It's playoff season! Good luck to all sports teams!
  • May 1Good luck with AP exams and finals Hornets!
  • January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

ISIS-K Responsible for Mass Shooting in Russia

Fri, March 22, 2024, is a day in Russia that will never be forgotten. The Crocus City Hall in Moscow held a rock concert that was violently interrupted. Four men came into the building, each one carrying a gun.   

Witnesses claim they saw them aim their weapons at the 6,000 civilians who were in attendance. 145 were shot and killed. Additionally, 500 were injured. Local schoolboys reportedly saved over 100.  

Fires that were set by the attackers engulfed the building and led to the roof collapsing.  

14 hours after the attack, the four men were arrested:  Dalerdzhon Mirzoyez, Saidakrami Murodali Rachabalizoda, Shamsidin Fariduni and Muhammadsobir Fayzov.  They are being charged with acts of terrorism by the Russian court. 

Moscows Crocus City Music Hall in flames and destruction after shooting attack on civilians. (Credit: Vasily Prudnikov/ EPA-EFE)

During the trial, the men were seen with bruises and scrapes suggesting they were beaten, and one came out in a wheelchair wearing a hospital gown.   

Reports, including leaked videos of brutal interrogation sessions, have also suggested that there was electric shocking involved with one of the accused.  

As of now, ten other people have been arrested under suspicion of aiding the attack, but their names are unknown.  

A few days following the attack, the Islamic State Group of Afghanistan (ISIS) publicly came out with a video response to the attack.  They said that four of the men responsible were members of their group.  

The ISIS groups are foreign terrorist organizations who take responsibility for many of the world’s terrorist attacks, such as 9/11, to implement their power. 

Although ISIS stated their responsibility and part in the attack, Russian officials including the President are blaming Ukraine.  

ISIS has also had a history of taking responsibility for attacks that weren’t officially by them or any of their members.  

The country has explained that Ukraine could’ve allowed the attackers to cross the border and travel into Russian territory.  

In response, Ukraine has said that this claim is “absurd” and “absolutely predictable.”  

When asked who is to blame by Senior Officials, Russian President Vladimir Putin said, “We know that the crime was committed by the hands of radical Islamists, followers of an ideology that the Islamic world itself has been fighting against for centuries.”  

Supposedly a month ago, the United States warned civilians in Moscow of a potential act of terrorism in possible large gatherings. The accusation was dismissed saying it was trying to cause distraction and meddle in the Presidential Election.   

The U.S. and other Western agencies have investigated which part of ISIS initiated the attack. They found that it was most likely carried out in the Khorasan Branch, ISIS-K, which mainly operates in Afghanistan and possibly other parts in Central Asia.  

This also isn’t the first time ISIS has had relation to attacks against Russia.   

In 2015, a Russian aircraft was bombed with mainly Russian citizens and the group took full responsibility for the attack.  

In addition, in 2017 the St. Peterburg metro was bombed in which the group also claimed responsibility.  

Historically, this branch has made several detailed criticisms in their propaganda towards Vladimir Putin.  

The futures for Russia, Ukraine, the U.S., and even the ISIS are unknown. 

Their thoughts in response to this attack all remain a mystery and are unable to support some knowledge of what will happen to the world.