Varsity Boys Soccer Make it to Playoffs!

Emerson Keith, Sports Editor

Roswell High School’s boys’ varsity soccer team has made it to the playoffs! These boys worked so hard all season to get to this point. These Hornets had their last regular season game on Friday, April 8th at Peachtree Ridge High School. They took home the win 1-0 making the boys region champs and leading them to playoffs. 

Some of the varsity boys celebrating their victory of becoming region champs! (Creds: Ed Turlington)

The first game of the playoffs was against Discovery High School on Wednesday, April 13th at 7:00 pm right here in the nest. Students showed up and showed out to cheer on their fellow hornets. 

This was a tough game. Both teams scored in the first half of the game. The first goal was scored by Luke Rosen (12).  

This kept the game tied until the very end. The teams had to go into overtime to try and get one of the two teams to score and end the game. Both teams played great on defense, forcing the game to go into a second overtime. 

Going into double-overtime caused the crowd to get super rowdy and nervous. But with the help of the loud screaming and piercing cow bells, the hornets were able to get the score up. Colin Wright (11) scored a goal putting the score at 2-1 hornets.  

While this was great and gave the Hornets the advantage, the game was still not over. There was still time left in the game, giving plenty of time for more scoring opportunities.  

Luckily, the Hornets pulled through and scored again, this time a goal by Owen Velez (11). By this time, the game was over, and the Hornets took the dub.  

The final score of the game was 3-1 Roswell Hornets taking them to the next level of playoffs, the sweet 16. 

This next round of playoffs was against Walton High School again here at the nest. The game was on Tuesday, April 19th at 8:00 pm.  

The boys entering the field before the game to recite the National Anthem before their game. (Creds: Ed Turlington)

The game started off like the last with both teams scoring once, with Christian Morales (12) scoring ours. This tied the score 1-1.  

Because of the close remedy of WHS, not only did our students show up, so did theirs. This made the crowd even louder and rowdier than the last. 

Nobody else scored till the second half of the game. Both teams scored twice during this half. Junior Samuel Valencia scored the first goal for us, and Matthew Mazzola (10) scored the second. This once again tied the game, 3-3. 

Because of the tie, the teams had to go into overtime again. The anticipation grew as nobody was scoring and pulling out a winner to go to the next round of playoffs. 

Once again, neither team scored in the first OT making them both go into double-overtime. 

Both teams were playing so great it was hard to tell who was going to win, but our Hornets did it. Jesus Solorio (11) scored clenching the game with only a minute left in the game. This brought the score to a final 4-3 bringing the boys to the next round of playoffs; the elite 8 for the first time since 2019. 

The boys getting hype at practice before the next round of playoffs! (Creds: Ed Turlington)

The next playoff game was hosted by our Hornets again right here in the nest against Pebblebrook High School on Tuesday, April 26th at 7:00 pm.

This was an exciting yet hard game for our Hornets. Unfortunately, the Pebblebrook Falcons scored a goal in the first half of the game bringing the score to 1-0.  

RHS students showed up and showed out for their hornets and cheered them on all the way through. Even though the boys played their hardest, it was not enough to give them the win over Pebblebrook. 

The final score of the game was 1-0 Falcons. 

This was unfortunate that the Hornets were not able to make it all the way through playoffs, they worked harder than ever and made some great memories. 

The 2021-2022 Boys Varsity Soccer season ended that night, but these Hornets had a long, hard, but successful season.