The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!
  • January 29Prom Theme Announced: Enchanted Evening
  • January 29Stay warm Hornets!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Get to know the Newest Addition to the Social Studies Department

Mr. T decorates his room with memorabilia from his students to create a more fun and supporting environment. Walking in to see posters from athletic events, art projects made by his students, and his Lego collection always brightens up students days. (Credit: Drew Maddox)

After the unfortunate loss of a beloved Roswell US History teacher Mr. Alex Chrzanowski at the beginning of the 2022-23 school year, a teacher intern at Kennesaw State University, Mr. Sergio Trejo, quickly took over that role. Throughout the troubles at the beginning of the year, Trejo has been nothing but a joy to his students and co-workers.  

Although the school year started with a challenge, Mr. T, as his students call him, made a large effort to create a safe and fun learning environment for his students. Many of his students have said they enjoy his different teaching style, and it has made a positive impact on their learning.  

Junior Lia Rodriguez is one of Mr. T’s students. She stated, “What I like most about Mr. T is that he is a great teacher, and he makes everything enjoyable for us to learn. He has really helped me get through a subject that is not my strongest.” Trejo is not yet fit to be a full-time teacher because of his experience level, but his students feel that he understands the way they learn since Mr. T was in their shoes not too long ago.  

In addition to becoming a newbie in the Social Studies department, Mr. Trejo has also taken a role in Flag Football. For the 2023-2024 season, he will be the head JV Coach. He loves to support his students outside of academics and this was one way for Trejo to connect with them and support them. 

After talking with Mr. T, I discovered his point of view on teaching and his interest in his students’ school and personal lives. 

DM: How do you feel you took the switch from being an intern to a full-time teacher? 

Trejo: The switch came very fast and was hard to adapt to at first. The pressure of knowing students depend on you for their education stayed in my head throughout the first days but with all the great students I have it was easy a switch after a while.  

DM: Do you know anything revolving around your plans for being a full-time teacher next year? 

Trejo: The only thing I know is I will be teaching World History and US History which makes me happy since I love that I can help different grade levels. I will also be in the same classroom, which gives me a clear mind.  

DM: What influenced your decision to be head coach of the JV Flag Football team? 

Trejo: One of the reasons I wanted to become a teacher was to help students in different ways than just teaching social studies. I want students to know there is someone in the school to help them emotionally, for college, and for life. Becoming the head coach of the JV Flag Football team will help me expand to a wider group of students and have them know that there is someone in the building they can trust.  

DM: What are you most excited for about your future with teaching?  

Trejo: The thing I am most excited about is to see my current students in the future. I want all my current students to achieve their dreams whether that is dreams of college, money, or anything they like. I want this for all my current and future students to see them succeed and that’s what I am most excited for.   

DM: Do you have anything different from other teachers’ teaching styles?  

Trejo: One of the best things about being a young teacher is that I am able to connect with my students more. If that is with current trends, or even how I talk to my students. This connection I have with students I use to help me when I teach especially in Social Studies since certain topics involve current issues. This teaching style with adapting with the students has helped me extremely create a great classroom environment and help with classroom management.  

Having Mr. T as a teacher is a privilege and has impacted many students’ lives. His dedication and love for his job is seen, and Roswell is lucky to have Mr. T on their staff from now on. His students are convinced that he will make a huge impact on the school and Roswell community in future years.