The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!
  • January 29Prom Theme Announced: Enchanted Evening
  • January 29Stay warm Hornets!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Letter From the Editor

One of Drews favorite pictures captured from her senior photoshoot. (Credit: Harriet Thompson)

Hey Hornets! My name is Drew Maddox and I’m the editor in chief of The Sting for the 23-24 school year. I’ve been on The Sting staff since my freshman year and it’s so surreal that now, as a senior, I’ve attained the editor in chief position. Originally, I started out as a staff writer my freshman year, but eventually became a copy editor and section editor during my sophomore and junior years. When I first saw newspaper on my schedule as a freshman, I was skeptical and unsure that this class was a good environment for me. It took me a little time, but I eventually discovered that I absolutely love to write and it’s a skill I want to pursue later in life. I had always looked up to the editors when I was younger, and I always strive to be an impactful editor for others as they were to me.  

When I’m not writing, you can often find me listening to music, hanging out with my dog and cats, going to concerts, taking a lot of naps, and hanging out with my friends. I tend to be a homebody, but I enjoy being with my friends the most out of anything.  

Aside from my editor duties, I have also been involved in other school activities. 

I’ve played volleyball for six years, and it’s been one of the only active hobbies I’ve enjoyed. I played for Roswell three of my years here and was even captain of the team my JV season. Although I won’t pursue the sport in college, I want to possibly play for rec leagues and continue to contribute to the sport in some way.  

Drew at the end of volleyballs senior night. She poses after the game with her overload of flowers from friends and family. (Credit: Emerson Keith)

I started athletic training for the football team this past season joining as a student aide mainly due to my love for football, but the other part of me wanted the experience of being an athletic trainer and making an impact on lives. After this season, I regret not starting sooner. The experience was extremely eye opening and made my love for football grow even stronger. Although writing is my passion, sports medicine is another close interest of mine, and I’m not opposed to it as another option in the future. 

Before every game, Drew and her fellow athletic trainer’s always take a selfie to capture the moments during the 23-24 football season. (Credit: @‌roswellsportsmed on Instagram)

Here on The Sting, we try our best to include coverage of every aspect of Roswell from sports, clubs, breaking news, features on teachers and students, school opinionated topics, and even reviews of popular trends whether it’s school or media related. We have a multitude of different talents and personalities on our staff that contribute in so many ways, and we are always open to new members to add to our staff.  

Even if writing doesn’t interest you, I highly encourage you to read our paper every once in a while and spread the word about The Sting. A lot of creative minds and long hours go into making the site perfect so we would really appreciate your support!

I am so beyond grateful for The Sting and everyone I have met along the way. Without this paper, I don’t think I would have figured out my passion this easily. I cannot wait to watch my fellow younger staff members continue to grow this paper and push it to its greatest potential.  

Go Hornets!