The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!
  • January 29Prom Theme Announced: Enchanted Evening
  • January 29Stay warm Hornets!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

“Mean Girls” Movie is Not ‘So Fetch!’

The+new+Mean+Girls+movie+poster+at+Roswell+Aurora+Cineplex%2C+featuring+Renee+Rapp+and+a+music+tremble+symbol+highlighting+Tina+Fey%E2%80%99s+musical+twist+on+the+iconic+Mean+Girls+movie.+%28Credit%3A+Abby+Fisher%29+
The new Mean Girls movie poster at Roswell Aurora Cineplex, featuring Renee Rapp and a music tremble symbol highlighting Tina Fey’s musical twist on the iconic Mean Girls movie. (Credit: Abby Fisher)

The new “Mean Girls” movie hit theaters Jan. 12, 2024, as a reimagined musical reboot to the iconic 2004 “Mean Girls.” The new movie features Reneé Rapp from the Broadway musical version, and my personal favorite, Christopher Birney from, “The Summer I Turned Pretty,” along with the reappearance of Tina Fey, as Ms. Norbury and Tim Meadows as Principal Duvall from the original. While the movie contained the same beloved story line of “Mean Girls”, there were many changes from the original. 

I was not personally a big fan of the music and during some of the scenes and it is easy to know what’s going to happen. But unexpectedly, they would break out into song. It just seemed to prolong the movie and made it a bit annoying.  

The same characters returned, Regina George, Cady Heron, and the many others, but there were many changes with their outfits that kept up with today’s fashion choices, similarly to the 2000’s style shown in the 2004 movie. However, they wore very skimpy tops that weren’t very fitting to “the Plastics” as they are known in the original for their fancy outfits. 

Finally, and most disappointing, some of the most iconic lines were either changed or not used at all. For example, the scene where Cady and Regina are arguing, when Regina says, “Do you know what everyone says about you? They say that you’re a home-schooled jungle freak, who’s a less hot version of me!” and then proceeds to getting hit by a bus. That was not included at all. Rather, Janice is singing while Regina and Cady are arguing, but we don’t get to hear any of their conversation, thus excluding the line. 

Overall, I would rate it a 2/5 stars because I was annoyed by the singing, and very saddened by the fact that some very famous lines were not included. I did like the humor and plot, but it was more of a movie to watch because of the first one, not necessarily a must-see blockbuster.