The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• May 1Happy May Hornets!
  • May 1It's playoff season! Good luck to all sports teams!
  • May 1Good luck with AP exams and finals Hornets!
  • January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Gaming Corner

What is Palworld and Why is Palworld such a big issue for Nintendo?
The Palworld loading screen, with some pals being seen. (Credit: Anderson Small)
The Palworld loading screen, with some “pals” being seen. (Credit: Anderson Small)

This year on the 18th of January, and game by the name of Palworld was released. Palworld was Developed by Pocketpair and was released to mass support. Palworld is a game where you collect and catch creatures located threw out the world, and then use them to battle, and produce goods for you. Its concept is pretty like Pokémon, however there are many distinct features to it. In Palworld you’re able to ride and use your pals to produce good for you, while in Pokémon you can’t.

Palworld is an issue for Nintendo because both games have similar functions but one has better graphics, and cool mechanics while the other one doesn’t. People have been saying that Pokémon looks rushed and sloppy, while Palworld doesn’t. Palworld has more things to do, and looks complete compared to Pokémon, which is why people have been migrating from Pokémon to Palworld recently. The release of Palworld is forcing Nintendo to improve their games, and take a little bit more time developing them otherwise, they are going to lose players, when inevitable newer and better games with the same concept come out.

Even though there are many differences between the “Pals” in Palworld, and the “Pokemon” in Pokémon, there are also many similarities between them. For example, the Pal “Anubis” is being compared to the Pokémon “Lucario.” The base of this claim comes from the fact both stand on two feet and have the same head, and ear shape it could be also said that “Anubis” is based on the God Anubis, and not Lucario. Another thing is that it’s hard to come up with something, without it being compared to an existing Pokémon. There are a lot of Pokémon out there, so it’s hard to come up with something that doesn’t resemble a Pokémon in some sort of way.

The whole Palworld situation hasn’t gone unnoticed, Nintendo has taken notice of Palworld and has said “We have received many inquires regarding another company’s game released in January 2023. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game.” While Nintendo hasn’t taken any legal action against Palworld yet, its well know that Nintendo is protective of its assets so it’s not out of the question that they may do so in the future.

While Pokémon will always hold a place in people hard, if Nintendo doesn’t improve the Pokémon game, people will go to other games. As someone who has both games, I would highly recommend that you try out Palworld if you have the money too, and maybe then you will see that both games are very different from each other.

Pokemon character Lucario. (Credit: pokemonb.net)
One of palwords characters, Anubis.(Credit: palworld.fandom.com)