Music Midtown: Was it worth the expense?

Annie Bowers, Staff Writer

Many people that live in Atlanta and the Southeast look forward to the yearly music festival: Music Midtown. However, some do not look forward to the expensive ticket prices. Music Midtown started 24 years ago as a way to bring popular artist to Atlanta. Since the beginning it has changed owners, locations, dates and, most obviously, in ticket prices. Music Midtown tickets started out at only 45 dollars for a weekend pass. As the years progressed the price increased to 75 dollars and eventually to what they are today. A two day pass for general admission is $155 plus fees, while VIP tickets start at $600 and go up to $1250. When asked about if the expense is worth it, two Roswell High concert goers gave similar opinions about Music Midtown. The first student, freshman Avery Koch said that the she spent about $250 between the two days. She also said that she thought she spent at least 12 hours in Piedmont Park over the weekend.

Unfortunately, there was an insane amount of people there and Koch said,“The worst part of the weekend was waiting in the lines, but it was very fun.” Koch also said, “I will say, stuff is way too expensive, but it was 100 percent worth it.”

The next student, freshman Karmyn Marks, said, “It was probably at least 700 dollars because I bought the VIP pass.”

Even though Marks had an amazing time, she said that there were some down sides to Music Midtown.

“I lost my friend and couldn’t find her for the whole day,” Marks said. Both Koch and Marks said that they would be attending next year. Music Midtown is overpriced but worth it. One of the concertgoers also said, “This was honestly the best weekend of my life. It was definitely a lot of money, but I have never had an experience like this before and I will be attending next year.”