The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• May 1Happy May Hornets!
  • May 1It's playoff season! Good luck to all sports teams!
  • May 1Good luck with AP exams and finals Hornets!
  • January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Intersection Project Taking Place on King Road

King Road and Woodstock Road current intersection before remodel. (Credit: Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Roswell City Council just recently approved a contract for the materials to move on with the Woodstock and King Road Project. This project has been in the process for months, but on  the project was given the green light.  

This project will add a right turn lane on Woodstock Road at the intersection of Crossville Road and Woodstock Road. Along with this, it will extend the King Road turn lane to the senior parking lot entrance at Roswell. 

The construction for this project is expected to take 12-18 months. Materials used for this project included under the contract are sub-grade evaluation, soil density testing, concrete testing, and asphalt analysis.  

The bidding date for this project started on June 8, 2023, but the project did not begin until around early Aug. This intersection project will affect many parents driving students to RHS, as well as teachers, juniors and seniors who have parking spots at the school. 

Senior Ari Pais has a parking spot in the senior lot at RHS, and he claims that the intersection project would affect his everyday route to and from school. Pais said, “For me, the added lane into the senior lot would be a huge help getting into school more quickly each day, because I enter RHS from the King/Woodstock intersection side.”  

Pais then follows with, “However, an extra turn lane into Woodstock wouldn’t do too much for me since I don’t come down from that road, but if it frees up the intersection, I’m all for it.”  

Senior Taven Bernard also agrees that the added turn lane at Woodstock Road would be very convenient and helpful. Bernard said, “A senior lot extra lane would really help getting into the lot, sometimes the area gets so backed up in the mornings it goes all the way past the lights at Woodstock.” 

Parents who drop their kids off at school will also be affected by this project. Roswell parent Lindsey Vail said, “I think the traffic around Woodstock Road and King Road is very dangerous for walkers and young drivers and I’m glad they’re doing the construction.”  

Vail then said, “While construction is ongoing, it will affect the time of our commute. But once completed it should move the flow in and out of the senior lot much faster.” 

Junior Dylan Sanning thinks the added right turn lane into Woodstock would be beneficial. Sanning said, “yes the construction would affect it, it took me an hour to get to school yesterday because very little cars can get through the light before it turns red again.” 

RHS has struggled with heavy traffic to and from school, causing students to leave their house way earlier than they would on non-school hours just to make it to school on time. This project could help tremendously with the traffic and make the drive for students and parents to RHS much easier and quicker.