The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• May 1Happy May Hornets!
  • May 1It's playoff season! Good luck to all sports teams!
  • May 1Good luck with AP exams and finals Hornets!
  • January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Bank Robber in Roswell

The scene of Truist Bank on Holcomb Bridge road where the robbery took place. (Credit: Abby Fisher)

On Jan. 22, commotion about the 27-year-old bank robber, broke out in the halls. James Raborn had robbed the Truist Bank on Holcomb Bridge Road, and fled police roaming around the Mountain Park area. He was caught in an unexpected way, sleeping on the floor of a woman’s house.  

The armed robbery on that Monday was reported to Roswell Police only ten minutes after the alleged robbery, giving Raborn barely enough time to flee the scene. Raborn escaped in a short car chase from the police, that soon turned into a foot chase, after the car crashed in the Mountain Park area. Raborn was on the loose for approximately two days.  

With this event leading to an armed robber on the loose for two days, students living near the area took the following protective precautions. Freshman Olivia Dralle said, “I locked all doors after being opened.” Similarly, sophomore Mary Katherine Tucker was informed to be cautious of her surroundings and to lock all doors. 

Raborn was not alone, being helped by his accomplice, Emily Browning, a 29-year-old who was found by police in the passenger side of the car. She was immediately taken into custody once noted as an active participant in the case. Browning was released the following Friday with a bond set to $25,000 based on jail records. 

As for Raborn, his crime path continued, sending K9 and drone crews in search of him. Wednesday Jan. 24, Raborn was caught after his phone signal reported he was still in the area, this alerted police, and they were able to arrive at the unsuspected woman’s house. Upon the arrival of police, she spotted Raborn’s body lying in a spare bedroom.  

The shocking news caused sophomore Brody Duffy and his family to stash their cash in the basement, and Duffy said, “I felt scared that something in this magnitude could occur in our daily lives.” 

Raborn was taken to the Fulton County Jail, held on a $20,000 bond for changes under armed robbery, criminal trespassing, and multiple traffic offenses.