The Student News Site of Roswell High School

The Sting

• January 31Graduation date has been announced, set your calendars for May 21st seniors!
  • January 29Prom Theme Announced: Enchanted Evening
  • January 29Stay warm Hornets!

The Sting

The Sting

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

1989 Taylor’s Verison is Finally Out of the Woods

A Review of the Newly Done Classic Album
The+new+cover+for+1989+features+all+white+coloring+vs+the+originally+all+black+font.+Some+fans+speculate+it+has+to+do+with+Taylor+hinting+towards+Reputation%E2%80%99s+rerecord%2C+others+say+it+has+to+do+with+her+emotional+healing+from+her+eating+disorder+since+2014+and+rerecording.+
Jessie Schwitters
The new cover for 1989 features all white coloring vs the originally all black font. Some fans speculate it has to do with Taylor hinting towards Reputation’s rerecord, others say it has to do with her emotional healing from her eating disorder since 2014 and rerecording.

Taylor’s original 1989 album dropped on Oct. 27, 2014, and catapulted Swift into the pop star she is today. After nine years, Swift released “1989 Taylor Version” to claim ownership over her albums.

On an immediate listen, you can hear Swift’s voice and style are audibly different. Sonically, the album sounds both louder and smoother than the original. Most of the re-recorded tracks are produced by Taylor and Christopher Rowe. The remaining were co-produced by the album’s original producers, Jack Antonoff, Ryan Tedder, Noel Zancanella, and Imogen Heap.

However, some of Taylor’s songs sound noticeably different and have taken fans back. “Style,” one of the album’s hit singles, has been mentioned continually by fans. The beginning sounds different, and the overall production sounds noticeably different than the original. This video perfectly shows the audio differences in the song. Although the sounds differ, Taylor’s version is still better than the original. It’s almost been ten years, and technology with production has changed; Swift’s voice has matured, and the producer’s style has also changed.

The rest of the album sonically sounds the same just with Taylor’s matured voice. The best part of the album that perfectly closed out the 1989 era was the vault tracks list. The news songs, “’Slut!,’” “Say Don’t Go,” “Now That We Don’t Talk,” “Suburban Legends,” “’Is it Over Now?’” perfectly add to “1989.”

“’Slut!’” is a song that plays on the comments Swift was getting at the time about her dating life with pop star Harry Styles. The song follows how Swift feels her being called a slut by the press is worth it because she’s falling in love.

“’Say Don’t go’” is a sister song to “Out of the Woods” and “All you had to do is stay” describes someone following out of love with and hoping they would stay. The song is a perfect addition to the track list and in the songs, Taylor hits her lowest note yet.

Now that we don’t talk is the perfect situationship anthem. It follows Swift’s 2014 split from Harry Styles and gives listeners details about the breakdown of a relationship and how the two can no longer be friends. The song’s production reminds of her newest album Midnights.

The last vault song “Suburban Legends” is honestly my least favorite. The song follows the idea that Swift and her ex could have been “Suburban Legends” due to their big reputations. The song is my least favorite because I don’t think the metaphor is that appealing like some of her other ones. I also just don’t think the production fits very well in “1989.”